Thumbnail Filmstrip of American Coin Treasures JFK Half Dollar - Gold Layered Images
The perfect gift for any coin enthusiast. The most inspiring coin of the 20th century, the JFK Half Dollar was issued in 1964. The introduction of this coin marked one of the speediest actions in U.S. government history.
- Minted from 1964 - present
- Diameter: 30.6mm
- Designed by Gilroy Roberts & Frank Gasparro
- Features the presidential coat of arms on the reverse
- Features the bust of John F. Kennedy on the obverse
- In 1975 & 1976 a dual dated 1776-1976 bicentennial version of the JFK half dollar was minted featuring Independence Hall from Philadelphia on the reverse and the dual date on the obverse. This new reverse was designed by Seth G. Huntington.
- Under existing law, U.S. coin designs could not be changed more often than every 25 years; the Franklin half dollar was then only 15 years old, and its replacement would quite literally require an act of congress. Partisan disputes were largely set aside in recognition of the nation's and the world's loss, and congress managed to pass legislation permitting a change in the half dollar's design with only a few weeks' debate.
- The act of December 30, 1963 made the Kennedy half dollar a reality
- The first year of issue, 1964, was minted of .900 fine silver and .100 copper.
- From 1965-1970 the JFK half dollars were minted of .400 fine silver.
- From 1971-present, all JFK half dollars minted for circulation were minted from copper/nickel.
Not available in AK, HI, PR
Express shipping not available
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: WARNING This product can expose to chemicals including lead, which is known to the state of California to cause reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
|Brand||American Coin Treasures|
|Dimensions||2 x 9 x 5|